Friday, November 30, 2012

A Final Good-Bye



Today, the last episode of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon has graced our screens and the curtains have finally fallen.  It is definitely a sad day for fans around the world to see the show they loved so much come to an end.  15 months ago, I first laid eyes on this show and was instantly drawn to it.  I loved the spunk in Khushi, was irritated by the arrogance and Arnav and loved how they bickered.  As the curtains close on one of the best shows to grace the screens, I want to say thank you to Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon for restoring my faith in Indian television dramas.

Years ago, I started watching a few Indian dramas as I found them quite interesting.  Unfortunately, they had one thing in common: a lot of unnecessary twists and turns that made me want to stop watching.  I remember watching Kkusum for 4 years and thought that I would never watch another Indian serial again.  Then, two years back, I stumbled on Choti Bahu and decided to give them another shot but I still felt the same way.  That is until IPKKND came along.  I still remember the first day I saw it on television.  I was supposed to be doing my homework but was more intrigued with the show.  I started watching it online for a few weeks before being committed to watching it every night on TV.  I later got my entire family hooked on the show.  IPKKND was different from the other shows.  Khushi was not the typical protagonist: she had a voice, she had spunk and had the guts to put Arnav in his place.  Arnav too was unlike other male characters: he had a large ego and was ruthless to the core but somewhere in there, lay a heart.  From the moment I saw this show, I was drawn to it, soon becoming fully committed to it.

It was only three days ago that I found out the show would be coming to an end and it broke my heart.  However, given some time to digest it, I have accepted the ending of the show and have understood why it has come to an end.  Like they say, "All good things must come to an end".  As much as I didn't want to see the show go, I would rather have it pulled off the air instead of having it crash and burn like other shows.  So, to honour and give back to the show that has given me a lot, I want to say thank you.


Sanaya Irani:
Thank you so much for playing Khushi Kumari Gupta (Singh Raizada).  You are an example to all girls around the world that it's okay to be different, it's okay to be weird and to not confide to society's norms, it's okay to be yourself.  I've been able to relate a lot with Khushi and have always loved the fact that she never backed down in putting Arnav in his place.  She's the first character I've seen that had the guts to stand up to a guy and let him hear things he doesn't want to.  You showed your strength by carrying the show for two months, which is hard to do in any show. You are such a talented and beautiful actress with by far the best comic timing.  Your work and effort has been recognized by all and I wish you the absolute best in the world. 

Barun Sobti:
You took playing an angry young man to another level and I thank you for that.  You portrayed Arnav brilliantly, showing how broken he really was and that all he was looking for in life was a little happiness.  Even though he was a ruthless and arrogant character, you showed how he does have a heart, through his relationships with his family.  I've enjoyed watching Arnav's character evolve and change on the screen, especially in his challenges with Khushi.  As a person who's achieved immense success through this character, you've continued to remain humble, grounded and very down to earth.  Your expressions throughout the show were absolutely amazing, proving that you are talented.  I wish you the absolute best of luck in the future.

Daljeet Kaur Bhanot:
You made everyone want to have a sister like Anjali.  Someone who cared for the littlest things, someone who would share in your happiness and pain and someone who always wanted to keep people happy.  Your portrayal of Anjali was excellent and the relationship you shared with Arnav truly was special.  Even through the hate you received when the story shifted to Anjali to depict her loss and betrayal, you still kept going and I am very proud of you.  You've got a great heart and a great personality.  Wishing you the best for the future.

Akshay Dogra:
Akash was different from Arnav and you played that very well.  Your chemistry with the cast was amazing and I loved your bromance with Barun.  Akash was Arnav's support and at times, advice giver.
It was sad that not much character development was done with Akash post the marriage but you have really shown your talent in this show.  Wishing you the absolute best in life.

Deepali Pansare:
You played the sweet and quite sister of Khushi very well and I loved your chemistry with Sanaya.  Payal was a great support for Khushi and I loved the bonding the two sisters had.  It was unfortunate that not much was done with your character post the marriage but you are definitely talented indeed and that was shown when Payal stood up for her sister and family.  Wishing you the absolute best.

Abhaas Metha:
You took being a villain to a whole new level and I thank you for that.  I loved to hate Shyam and enjoyed watching his plans fail while being frustrated when he succeed.  With Shyam's departure, I couldn't have been happier but his absence meant that I no longer had a villain to hate.  With you gone, the show felt incomplete and I kind of hoped you'd return again.  He was a very interesting character and you brought him to life brilliantly.  He definitely was a driving force in this show, helping to bring Arnav and Khushi together.  Your fans around the world love you and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Utkarsha Naik:
Thank you for playing Mami and giving us the slogan "hello hi bye bye".  Mami was a very colourful character and could sometimes be rude but you showed that it wasn't that she didn't like people but because she was a bit insecure with herself at times.  I loved the story where she and Khushi worked together to try to save Arnav and wished I could've see more of them together.  Wish you the best of luck for the future.

Jayshree T:
I thank you for playing the best Nani on television.  When the show started off, I thought that Nani was a more strict character but afterwards, she was shown as a more understanding and light hearted person.  Thank you for portraying a Nani that is not only traditional, but is open-minded, very supportive and provides for her children/grand children the freedom to pursue their dreams (within limits).  Wishing you all the best.

Karan Goddwani:
NK was by far one of my favourite characters on the show (and on TV) and you played him brilliantly.  From the day he arrived to the very last episode, you played NK perfectly.  From the bad hindi, to being a good friend and support to Khushi to showing your smarts in helping to rescue Arnav, you did an amazing job.  When NK was abruptly written out, I was a bit upset but was really glad when he was brought back.  I would have loved to see him get a real love interest and see him get married; it would have be fun to watch.  You are truly very talented and your work has been recognized on this show.  Wishing you the best of luck in the future.

The Crew:
Thank you to the directors, writers, producers and everyone else behind IPKKND for bring this story to the screen.  Even though the show has had its ups and downs, it is by far one of the most well written shows in a long while.  Thank you to everyone involved in bringing this beautiful love story to life and giving us so many warm and heartfelt memories.


A big thank you goes out to the cast and crew for putting in the countless days and hours to make the show what it was.  The passion, the intensity and the drama were all perfect.  Thank you for giving us countless Arshi memories and giving us one of the best love stories to grace the screen.  Even though the show has ended, I will continue to cherish and relish in the memories I have with it.  I wish the cast and crew the absolute best in life.  Wishing them the best of luck in the future and I look forward to watching them all in their future endeavors.  Hopefully, one day we get to see them all together again.

Thank you, from me to you

3 comments:

  1. Hetal Lad
    Thank you for your wonderful analysis. I am a silent reader and in this vote of thanks post, if I do not comment, I may never get a chance to thank you. I enjoyed reading your posts. There are many posts I first read your what worked, what not worked and then the episode analysis. You are soo spot on!
    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my blog and I hope you and everyone else enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it :)

      Delete
  2. Honestly, your blog is my lifeline! Thank you for creating, posting and reviewing the show even if the show season ended 5 years ago in India, it is going to end soon in South Africa. Honestly, I don't know what I would have missed out on if you didn't start this blog since the show plays during my work time on certain days. And thank you for writing it in English, most of all the other review blogs write in Tamil or Hindu! Honestly you are just awesome Hetal!!!

    ReplyDelete